Property Manager - Full Time - Victoria, BC
M’akola Housing Society
We honour our Indigenous roots as an Indigenous organization and strive to hire and train interested Indigenous people to work in all areas of our organization. We understand that there have been historical events that have affected the identity of Indigenous people.
We accept all self-identifying Indigenous employees including status, non-status, Metis, and Inuit pursuant to Section 42 of the BC Human Rights Code. We honour and understand Indigenous cultures and values and do our best to support our employees.
If you have any questions regarding this position or applying for the position, please reach out and email us at: email@example.com or by phone: 778-402-9260. We want to support all applicants during this process.
Who We Are
M’akola Housing Society (MHS) is an Indigenous affordable housing provider committed to supporting vibrant, diverse communities in British Columbia. Our portfolio spans the entire province and involves property management, asset management, Assisted Living and providing professional consulting services to other service providers.
At MHS, we have energetic and engaged teams. Each member brings a unique approach and skillset, and together we are committed to delivering high-quality service to our tenants and their communities. We strive to create a welcoming and supportive environment where all team members take personal accountability for their work, have a passion for excellence, and are encouraged to achieve their full potential.
What We Offer
- Competitive wages and annual reviews
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Additional paid time off between Christmas and New Years
- Municipal Pension Plan (MPP)
- Extended health and dental
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Health & Wellness Program includes $250/year
- Professional Development Program
The Property Manager position cares for a portfolio of properties and tenants in the Victoria region. Reporting to the Senior Property Manager, the successful candidate will enjoy working closely with four (4) other regional Property Managers across BC and senior leadership to provide property management for a diverse and changing group. The Property Manager will be responsible for the overall safety of each building to ensure the safety of our tenants. The position will be based out of the Victoria office at 18 – 554 Goldstream Avenue. This position is full-time, permanent, 35 hours per week Monday – Friday.
- Provide property management services for assigned portfolio such as unit turnovers, tenancy management, contract administration, procurement, and stakeholder relationships.
- Work with Indigenous organizations, communities, and tenant associations to maintain mutually beneficial relationships that enhance the well-being of Indigenous people who are transitioning to urban living.
- Lead a team including Caretakers, Property Manager Assistant and Junior Property Manager by holding weekly meetings, providing performance reviews, and encouraging teamwork.
- Coordinate and manage the general maintenance and regular inspections for all units in the portfolio to ensure compliance of M’akola standards and regulations of various authorities (BC Housing, WorkSafe, municipal bylaws, etc.) are maintained, training will be provided.
- Meet Key Performance Indicators (rent collections, filling vacancies) and participate in meetings to discuss patterns and trends.
- Respond to tenant complaints, concerns, and issues and address them in a timely manner that is well-documented and in compliance with the Residential Tenancy Act and M’akola values.
- Coordinate with the Director of Asset Management, vendors, contractors, and partners to meet service-delivery expectations and maintenance standards for all properties.
- Responsible for portfolio spending within approved annual maintenance budget.
- Manage the on-call system within the team so that work is distributed evenly and provide back-up coverage for calls outside of regular working hours.
- Maintain confidentiality of all tenant-related information with the strictest of confidence.
- Assist with other various projects as assigned.
- Certificate or diploma in property management, social housing, or related field
- A combination of education and experience in property management may be considered
- Certified Property Manager (CPM) designation considered an asset
- 3+ years of experience in property management with a small portfolio
- 2+ years of supervisory experience
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent understanding of the Residential Tenancy Act
- Proven negotiating and dispute resolution skills
- Familiar with resources to provide community information and/or referrals to assist families requiring additional support to maintain their tenancy
- Strong supervisory skills; as a leader, models professional behaviour and provides direction to their staff regarding the region operations
- Must possess strong planning, time management, efficient file management, and record keeping skills
- Exhibit strong interpersonal skills, display tact, respect, and diplomacy
- Demonstrated aptitude in dealing with private and confidential information
- Exhibits cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Valid class 5 driver’s license
- Provide clear Criminal Record Check prior to hiring, costs covered by M’akola
- Follow M’akola policies and procedures
- Available to take calls outside of regular work hours
- Provide back-up support for on-calls
- Willing to travel for occasional M’akola events
- Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or be willing to get vaccinated before start date
We hire employees of all cultures including Indigenous and non-Indigenous. Our Indigenous employees have diverse backgrounds including status, non-status, Metis and Inuit. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and cultures to join our diverse team.
Preference will be given to applicants of Indigenous ancestry (please self-identify) as per Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code.
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
For statistical purposes please indicate where you saw this job posting i.e. job site, email etc.