Do you have a background in healthcare or experience working with seniors or Elders? Are you looking for an opportunity with a flexible schedule, convenient location and positive work environment? The Casual/On-call Dining Room Server/Front Desk Clerk might be the perfect position for you!
M’akola Housing Society (MHS) is an Indigenous housing provider committed to supporting vibrant, diverse communities in British Columbia for over 30 years. Our portfolio spans the province comprising over 1,600 units and involves property management, asset management and assisted living. At MHS, we have energetic and engaged teams. Each member brings a unique approach and skillset, and together we are committed to delivering high-quality service to our residents.
Jesken Aerie Assisted Living provides a positive, supportive environment for the Residents who make Jesken Aerie their home.
M’akola offers the following:
- Flexible work schedule
- Opportunity to apply for full-time employment
- Great team-work environment
- Potential to work up to full-time
As a Dining Room Server, you will be under the supervision of the Kitchen Supervisor and are responsible for ensuring that residents of Jesken Aerie are provided with a professional dining room experience.
The Dining Room Server shifts can be offered for Monday – Sunday 10:15am – 6:15pm.
As a Front Desk Clerk, you will report to the Assisted Living Manager and manage the reception area while providing a warm and friendly environment for all the residents, guests and employees.
The Front Desk Clerk shifts that may be offered are Monday – Sunday 8am-4pm, 4pm-12am, 12am-8am (premium rate for this shift). Our preference is for someone to be available for the majority of these shifts.
Dining Room Server
- Ensuring that serving station area is washed down and sanitized several times per day
- Setting up the dining room prior to each meal service
- Serving and cleaning up lunch and dinner
- Maintaining an awareness of resident’s food allergies and specialty diets including any physical disabilities
- Administering First Aid to Residents in the case of an incident during meal time
- Ensuring compliance with all Food Safe guidelines in the handling and storage of all food supplies
- Welcome all incoming guests and residents and answer inquiries
- Answering the telephone, transferring calls and taking messages for all departments
- Responding to staff calling in sick and scheduling replacement personnel
- Ensure accurate and timely completion of all documentation assigned or required in the course of duties including documenting in the communication log and incident reports
- Ensure the safety of the building and residents by monitoring security cameras, documenting all incidents, responding to resident medical alarms, administer First Aid to residents and staff when appropriate, and assist with evacuating the building during an emergency
- Setting up and arranging evening activities as required
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in and with the Indigenous community would be an asset
- Strong time management, multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Exhibit strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to display tact, respect and diplomacy
- Ability to take direction and follow procedures
- Knowledge to respond effectively and calmly in crisis situations
- Capable of being socially sensitive to Indigenous issues and concerns
- Good conflict resolution skills and the ability to demonstrate patience and tolerance
- Knowledge of an Assisted Living environment would be an asset
- Ability to work independently, yet contribute and co-operate in a team environment
- Good working knowledge of computer applications including MS Word, Excel, and Outlook, and ability to manoeuvre between applications with ease
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Courses or training in customer service, office systems and procedures
- 1-2 years’ of experience working in a high-volume dining room or office environment preferably in a congregate/assisted living setting
- Occupational Level 1 first aid certificate
- Food Safe 1
- Criminal Record Check
We hire employees of all cultures including Inuit, Metis, Indigenous, status, non-status, and non-Indigenous.
Preference will be given to applicants of Indigenous ancestry (please self-identify) as per Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code.